Nigeria is well known and recognise all over the world.
We have witnessed numerous talents from our hero’s past, and present heroes who still represent and make us proud.
Nevertheless, many Nigerian footballers have seen their life cut short, while representing our dear country and their clubs respectively
Here are 15 Nigerian footballers who have died on the pitch while playing.
- Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji was born on 19 May 1964 in Orlu, Imo State, Nigeria. He was the first Nigerian to collapsed and died of congestive heart failure, in the 77min. while representing his country Nigeria in a 1990 world cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome. He died Age 24
- Amir Angwe who played for NPL Julius Berger FC of Lagos, became the first person to die in Nigeria Premier League. He collapsed and died in an African cup winners cup match against Mozambican club Maxaquene in their semifinal, second leg tie at home, on 29 October 1995. Age 29
- John ikoroma collapsed 20min. To the end of the match between his club Al-Wahda Vs Kazakh club Asona in the United Arab Emirates in 1997, And later died in the hospital. Age 17
- Orobosan Adun. Before an away match with Enugu Rangers, goalkeeper Adun of Warri Wolves FC, was assaulted by thugs suspected to be fans of the opposition team. Adun died 3 days later from internal haemorrhage, during a training session on 26th of May 2009. Age 28
- Endurance Idahor was born on 4th August 1984 in Edo state, Nigeria. who played for Sudanese club Al-Merreikh, he collapsed in a league game against Al-mal, and later died on his way to the hospital on 6th of March 2010. Age 25
- Wilson Mene who played for Prek Pra Keila — a Cambodian football team in the country’s Metfone C-League,Collapsed during a league match and died. On 8 of May 2010. Age 22
- Victor Omogbehin collapsed during a league match on August 18, 2010. He played in the Isthmian Football League game from Ilford F.C. against the Lowestoft Town FC. Age 22
- Emmanuel Ogoli collapsed on the pitch while playing for Ocean Boys, and died later in hospital.in a match on 14 November 2010. Age 21
- Bobsam Elejiko was born on 18th August 1981 in Lagos Nigeria. Elejiko collapsed while playing a fifth-tier match with his team K. Merksem S.C. against F.C. Kaart, a team from Meristem, Antwerp, on 13 November 2011.Despite resuscitation attempts pitch side, Elejiko was pronounced dead and the match was abandoned. The cause was later determined to be a Traumatic rupture of the aorta. Age 30
- Chinonso Ihelwere Henry Collapsed during a friendly game against FC-Balotesti in the 86th minute, after having been brought on for only 10 minutes. With the temperature being 40 °C, doctors tried reviving the Nigerian player for 30 minutes before declaring him dead. Supposedly, he underwent health tests a week before his death with no signs of problems detected. The cause was of his death was heart failure, his death took place on 5th of August 2012. Age 21
- Joshua Pepple Collapsed from a heart attack in a leaguel game against Iskierka Szczecin and died on the pitch on 7th October 2012. Age 24
- Shetemi Ayetigbo life was cut short During a Dublin & District Schoolboy League game against St Kevin’s Boys, Ayetigbo, a Nigerian-Irish footballer collapsed and died on 31st May 2015. Age 16
- David Faramola Oniya was born on 5th of June 1985 in Lagos Nigeria.On 13 June 2015, Oniya died after collapsing on the pitch in Malaysia during a friendly between his club T-Team and Kelantan.His body was laid to rest at a Christian cemetery in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan two weeks later. Umanika
- Michael Umanika saw his death on 15th August 2016, the midfielder who play for Zagatala PFK collapsed during a team training session in Zagalata. He died of a suspected heart attack. Age 20
- Chineme Martins who played as a midfielder for Nasarawa United. During a league game against Katsina United in March 2020, Martins collapsed on the pitch and was taken to Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Age 22
These hero’s past shall ever be remembered.